Thursday, August 2, 2007

Stop Me!!!

"Stop me, oh, stop me Stop me if you think that you've Heard this one before..." Ever heard this one before? I did, and now i've heard it again. Back from years ago, reinvented as they say by a talented producer, Mark Ronson. British of course and uber talented. He's also kind of cute and great accent (of course i don't like him because of those particular attributes). He's worked with the likes of Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen who are all the craze this summer. He has his own album out now where he has collaborated with a few of his friends. Stop Me is a remake of The Smiths hit. It's got this great Jazzy vibe to it. I'm really loving how different the song sounds with Daniel Merriweather singing the lyrics. It has a great bluesy, jazzy feel to it that is absolutely different from anything out there right now. On the same note Mat Kearney has a completely different sound as well. I'm loving him. I love how he transitions from singing to speaking back to singing flawlessy. Thank GOD he's coming back to Texas, I might have to just follow him from city to city, dallas, to houston, to austin...i'm not beneath it you know. I'm not a music snob and I will listen to just about anything, but the same old stuff has been boring me lately. I guess i just need a change from the norm. Maybe the jazzy blues sounding music just matches my mood these days. Who knows why, but if it took a blue mood for me to discover the real depth of these artists then at least something good is coming out of the situation.

p.s. check out the video for Stop Me as well...visually it's one of the most interesting and appealing videos i've seen in a long time, its simple..but very cool.

2 comments:

Lillian's Mother said...

Lord child, that was blasphemy. They not only did a remake of one of the best Smiths songs of all time(which is wrong within itself), but they then threw in a Supreme song, "Set me free, why don't you babe?" Uuugghhhh, the other Mark Ronson stuff is alright, but that has put Mr. Merriweather on "The List" he is banned!!!!!!

Mo said...

But that's the beauty of the song. Somehow he has remade one of the best Smiths songs (I'm still partial to "There is a light That will never go out") and blended it seamlessly with a supreme's song...brilliance. I can take or leave merriweather..but i think in this song he brings something different to the table. Don't be such a music snob!